Popular Correctional Nursing Practice Article Series Updated
One of the most visited sections of the NCCHC website is a decade-old series on aspects of correctional nursing practice. The entire series has been updated to reflect changes in expectations, language, and experiences in correctional nursing.
The articles are an excellent introduction into the unique nature of correctional nursing. The nine articles cover:
- Legal Issues
- Ethical Issues, Moral Courage, and Moral Resiliency in Correctional Nursing
- Professionalism in Correctional Nursing
- Screening, Health Assessment, and Sick Call
- Therapeutic Communication in Correctional Nursing
- Regulations, Standards, Policies, Procedures, and Protocols
- Health Promotion and Maintenance
- Continuity of Care
- Preparing to Take the CCHP-RN Exam
The articles offer a fresh perspective on the responsibilities faced by correctional nurses and how to manage competing priorities and demands. Share the articles with your nursing staff to generate productive conversations and clarify roles and challenges.
Many thanks to Lori Roscoe, DNP, APRN, CCHP-RN, the Accredited Provider Program Director for NCCHC and co-chair of the NCCHC Nursing Education Subcommittee, who took the lead in updating the articles, and to NCCHC Board Member Patricia Blair, PhD, JD, CCHP-RN for her article on legal issues.