Correctional Medicine’s Movers & Shakers: CCHP-Ps
The CCHP-P program was launched in 2015 to give correctional physicians (the second P in CCHP-P) an opportunity to earn a credential that acknowledges their unique expertise in this specialized field. CCHP-Ps have demonstrated that they recognize the medical needs of the incarcerated and understand the challenges, legal issues, and policies and procedures specific to practicing in corrections.
“Correctional physicians can feel like they are out there by themselves,” says Eileen Couture, DO, RN, CCHP-P, who serves on the CCHP-P Subcommittee. “CCHP-P recognizes them as a specialty, acknowledges their body of knowledge and says to their counterparts, ‘I’ve taken the next step and I’m recognized as a correctional physician’.”
An Impressive Cohort
Since its inception, close to 100 physicians have become certified as CCHP-Ps. And their contributions to the field are impressive.
Notable CCHP-Ps include: Jeffrey Keller, MD, CCHP-P, author of the “Jail Medicine” blog and “Health Care Behind Bars” column in MedPage Today and medical director of Badger Medical; Nader Sharifi, MD, CCHP-P, medical director of correctional health with the Provincial Health Services Authority of British Columbia; Kenneth Soyemi, MD, MPH, CCHP-P, medical director, Cook County (IL) Juvenile Temporary Detention Center; executives from several correctional health care companies; and many chief medical officers, medical directors, staff physicians, consultants, and professors from as far away as Guam.
CCHP-Ps make an enormous contribution to NCCHC. In 2020, 13 were conference or webinar presenters, 13 acted as physician surveyors, and six served on the board.
The exam covers clinical management, mental health, public health, security, legal and ethical issues, and administration.
A detailed study guide is available at ncchc.org/cchp-p.
CCHP-P Subcommittee Members
- Jeffrey Alvarez, MD, CCHP-P, CCHP-A, chief medical officer, NaphCare
- Eileen Couture, DO, RN, CCHP-P, medical director, South Suburban Council for Alcohol & Substance Abuse
- Brent Gibson, MD, MPH, CCHP-P; chief health officer, NCCHC
- Charles Lee, MD, JD, CCHP-P, retired
- Ilse Levin, DO, MPH, CCHP-P, Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group
- Rebecca Lubelczyk, MD, CCHP-P, Wellpath
- Robby Morris, MD, CCHP-P, professor emeritus, UCLA
- Juan Nunez, MD, CCHP-P, medical director, Duval County Jail
- Esmaeil Porsa, MD, MPH, CCHP-P, CCHP-A, CEO, Harris Health System
- Matissa Sammons, MA, CCHP, vice president, certification, NCCHC (staff liaison)
- Steven Shelton, MD, CCHP-P, CCHP-A, consultant
- Anne Spaulding, MD, MPH, CCHP-P, associate professor, Emory University
- Todd Wilcox, MD, MBA, CCHP-P, CCHP-A, medical director, Salt Lake County Metro Jail
- Johnny Wu, MD, CCHP-P, chief, clinical operations, Centurion