Journal of Women and Criminal Justice Seeks Creative Submissions from Justice-Involved Persons and Advocates
The New Jersey’s Commission on Reentry Services for Women and The Women’s Project at NJRC are seeking art and creative and editorial writing for the second edition of The Journal of Women and Criminal Justice.
Through a combination of personal testimonies and research, The Journal highlights issues related to women and incarceration.
The first edition of The Journal is available online. The second edition will be published in January 2022.
The submission deadline is December 10, 2021.
Guidelines for Submissions:
· The Winter 2021 edition of The Journal of Women and Criminal Justice will focus upon mass incarceration. What does it look like? How does it feel, both to justice-involved and to justice-impacted people? What are the causes and effects of mass incarceration, as demonstrated by research and lived experience? How can we end mass incarceration? These are all questions you might consider exploring in your work. Please take them as recommendations, not requirements.
· We welcome art and writing submissions from across the United States and internationally.
· You may submit as many pieces as you would like. We ask that you title your submission(s).
· You may submit your entry using your name or anonymously. If you are willing and able, we ask that you include a brief biography and photo.
· If you include a bio and are comfortable sharing, we ask that you specify where you are from. If you have been incarcerated and are comfortable sharing, we would also ask that you state where you were or are incarcerated.
· If you mention anyone specifically by name, please first ask their permission or, if that is not possible, use a pseudonym. Please change or limit details which might identify persons mentioned in your work.
· Please send your submission to [email protected] or, if email is not available, please mail to:
New Jersey Reentry Corporation
ATTN: The Journal of Women and Criminal Justice
591 Summit Ave. STE 605B
Jersey City, NJ 07306
· In the cover letter, please state how you found out about The Journal of Women and Criminal Justice and if any organizations or individuals assisted in your writing or artmaking process.
· We accept art submissions in any medium (photography, drawing, printmaking, painting, etc.)
· Art submissions should be submitted in PDF, JPG, or PNG format. We ask that photo submissions be of high resolution (at least 800px).
· Written entries can be autobiographical or fictional narratives; research reports or analyses; op-eds; or poetry, short stories, and other creative works.
· There is not a minimum or maximum page length or word count requirement.
· Submissions may be typed or handwritten. If your writing is typed, we ask that you submit it in Times New Roman font, size 12, double spaced.
· If you refer to outside sources in your submission, please cite your sources using Chicago-Style footnotes and a works cited page.
· All writing will be edited for grammar and potentially for content.
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected] or by mail at New Jersey Reentry Corporation (ATTN: The Journal of Women and Criminal Justice), 591 Summit Ave. STE 605B, Jersey City, NJ 07306).
The Journal was featured in a session at the NCCHC National Conference on Correctional Health Care.