The CCHP Exam
The CCHP examination measures a candidate’s knowledge, understanding and application of the content areas covered on the exam, including:
- Standards and guidelines essential to the delivery of appropriate health care
- Basic legal principles for practicing in a correctional health care system
- The ethical obligations of correctional health professionals
- The role of health care professionals in delivering care in the correctional environment.
The examination is not intended to measure clinical competency. Some questions pertain to specific settings (e.g., jail, prison or juvenile facility); others are more general in nature.
Candidates are allowed two hours to complete the examination, which is a proctored, written test composed of 80 to 100 multiple-choice questions.
CCHP and specialty exams (CCHP-MH, CCHP-P, and CCHP-RN) are available at conferences, at test centers, and online. Candidates can select from:
- 900 Prometric test centers across the United States. Prometric will contact approved candidates by email. They charge a $50 fee.
- Online through Prometric. Prometric will contact approved candidates by email. They charge a $50 fee.
- NCCHC conferences and selected partner sites and conferences; see the Exam Calendar for dates, sites, and deadlines.
EXAM REGISTRATION FEES
|Test Site||Registration Fee|
|First Attempt||Second Attempt||Third Attempt|
|NCCHC or partner site||Free||$45||$45|
|Prometric test center or online Exam||$50||$50||$50|
The CCHP program makes every effort to ensure that test centers are in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Candidates who require special accommodations must submit a written request at least 90 days before the examination date.
Examinations are scored electronically. Results are sent in writing within two weeks. Unsuccessful candidates may take the exam two additional times within one year from the date of initial application approval. Exam registration fees will apply; see table above.
The exam must be taken within six months from the date the application is approved.
A candidate must request deferment in writing at least 10 business days before the originally scheduled examination date for exams at NCCHC conferences and at partner sites and conferences. Send requests to: CCHP Board of Trustees, 1145 W. Diversey Pkwy., Chicago, IL 60614 Fax 773-880-2424
Please check Prometric's policies for cancelling and rescheduling exams at test centers or online.