Family Support Resources - National Commission on Correctional Health Care
Close this search box.

Family Support Resources

Unfortunately, many families and friends are in the situation you find yourself regarding your daughter. While your inquiry does not relate to NCCHC standards, we want to address it in this column to provide information for correctional health staff who may be asked the same question.

Your best initial contacts are the National Mental Health Association (703-684-7722) and the National Alliance on the Mentally Ill (703-524-7600). Both organizations have national, state and local chapters, as well as subgroups that focus on issues related to mentally ill people who are incarcerated. The specialized groups are involved with initiatives such as diversion from correctional settings, quality care while incarcerated, and discharge and follow-up issues. They also may be able to direct you to other resources in your area.

— From CorrectCare Volume 20, Issue 1, Winter 2006