Family Support Resources


‹ Back to Q&A


Our daughter has spent a good deal of her life in correctional facilities, and she is serving time again. Her crime is what she is doing to herself: She has mental health and drug addiction problems. We cannot find advocacy groups of family members in support of those who find themselves incarcerated in a system that does not appear able to help them deal with their problems and get treatment so they can stay out of prison. Do you know of any resources?

Unfortunately, many families and friends are in the situation you find yourself regarding your daughter. While your inquiry does not relate to NCCHC standards, we want to address it in this column to provide information for correctional health staff who may be asked the same question.

Your best initial contacts are the National Mental Health Association (703-684-7722) and the National Alliance on the Mentally Ill (703-524-7600). Both organizations have national, state and local chapters, as well as subgroups that focus on issues related to mentally ill people who are incarcerated. The specialized groups are involved with initiatives such as diversion from correctional settings, quality care while incarcerated, and discharge and follow-up issues. They also may be able to direct you to other resources in your area.
— From CorrectCare Volume 20, Issue 1, Winter 2006