Benefits of NCCHC Accreditation
When a correctional facility achieves NCCHC accreditation, the message is clear: Its leaders are committed to providing a nationally accepted standard of care in health services delivery.
• Protects the institution by minimizing the occurrence of adverse events, thus avoiding health care-related lawsuits and grievances and often reducing liability premiums
• Promotes and documents an efficient, well-managed system of health care delivery with feedback from knowledgeable correctional health professionals
• Validates with objective criteria the areas in which the health care facility is doing well and areas for improvement
• Educates and trains staff on NCCHC standards, with the benefit of introducing new efficiencies and uniform practices
• Recognizes staff contributions and excellence, improves morale, and aids recruitment and retention
• Helps obtain community support and provides justification for budget requests
Accreditation signals a constitutionally acceptable level of care for a facility’s inmates, which translates into improved health status, fewer grievances and lawsuits, and reduced health risk to the community when incarcerated people are released.
What Sets NCCHC Apart?
• Survey teams are customized to the facility’s programs (e.g., mental health surveyors for extensive mental health programs, dentist surveyors for facilities with on-site dental care)
• We can survey one facility at a time or the entire system in the span of a week, depending on client needs
• Survey teams have specific expertise in correctional health care and each team includes a physician
• NCCHC accreditation staff and surveyors have worked in corrections – we understand how to implement standards because we’ve used them and can offer pre- and post-survey support
• Plus: free webinars on how to prepare for NCCHC accreditation, and for states that are bringing on numerous facilities, on-site, in-depth standards training