Spring Conference on Correctional Health Care 2013
April 20 - April 23, 2013
Correctional health care is advancing at a rapid rate. To stay on top of your game and face the future with confidence, you need to attend NCCHC’s 2013 Spring Conference. One of the largest gatherings of professionals in this field, the meeting continues the NCCHC tradition of bringing new information to the forefront and helping you integrate that knowledge into practice.
Designed to help you meet the ongoing and emerging challenges you face
Today it's more important than ever to use your skills and resources most effectively. Here are the top 5 reasons to attend:
- Powerful Knowledge. Packed with lectures, panels, workshops, posters, exhibits and networking, this meeting will give you the knowledge and skills to reshape your institution's health services.
- Unbeatable Networking. Share challenges, ideas and solutions with your peers, from top decision makers to in-the-trenches staff. You might find a new way to deal with an old problem, or a solution for a problem you didn't know you had!
- Renowned Speakers. Hear from some of the most highly-regarded speakers in our field and other influential thought leaders.
- Cutting-Edge Exhibits. Explore problem-solving products and services that will make your job easier. Plus, register to win one of the many fabulous raffle prizes.
- Invest in Yourself. Attending the conference lets you stay informed, update your skills and earn continuing education credit, keeping yourself competitive to meet the field's future challenges, demands and opportunities.
- Plenary and concurrent sessions
- Preconference seminars
- Welcome reception
- Educational breakfast and luncheons
- Roundtable discussions
- Informative exhibits
- Networking breaks and activities
- Educational poster display
- Continuing education credits
- NCCHC bookstore
Register online to receive immediate confirmation and payment receipt. If you are new to our online registration system, you must first create your log-in and password.
To register by mail or fax, please download this registration form.
|One-day (Monday or Tuesday)||$175|
|Preconference seminar: Saturday (full day)||$185|
|Preconference seminar: Sunday (half day)||$99|
|Guest (exhibit hall events only)||$60|
|Session Recordings Package||$29|
* To join the Academy of Correctional Health Professionals, simply sign up when you register.
Full registration (Regular or Academy) includes access to all conference events and educational sessions from Sunday evening through Tuesday, including roundtable discussions, breakfast on Monday, lunch on Monday and Tuesday, and all exhibit hall events. One-day registration provides access to all events and sessions scheduled for that day. Purchase the Session Recordings Package to receive the full proceedings.
Online Proceedings Package
Conference proceedings will be available online with synchronized audiorecordings and PowerPoints at the NCCHC Live Learning Center. Purchase this package now and review sessions later, catch up on sessions you missed and share valuable education with your colleagues. Simply select the Session Recordings Package when you register for the conference. Already registered? Contact NCCHC at 773-880-1460 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to add the proceedings. (Does not include Preconference Seminars.)
To be considered preregistered, your registration with full payment must be received by April 5. After this date, all registrations must be processed on-site.
Notification of cancellation must be submitted in writing. Cancellations received by March 8 will be refunded less a $100 processing fee. No refunds will be made for cancellations after March 8. Delegate substitutions are allowed at any time, but NCCHC must be notified in writing. Registrants who fail to attend the conference and do not notify NCCHC are responsible for full payment.
Funding Approval Tips
While the issues you face continue to grow in number and complexity, there’s no doubt that getting to a conference poses budget difficulties for many professionals in our field. Here are some ideas to get your approval on track so you can join your peers in Denver.
Conference Educational Objectives
- List major health care issues that commonly affect incarcerated individuals, including diabetes, hepatitis, HIV, hypertension, mental illness, oral health and substance abuse
- Describe current legal, ethical and administrative issues and ways to prevent potential problems that arise in correctional settings
- Employ new practices for the treatment of major health care issues in order to better manage common medical, nursing, dental and mental health problems found in correctional settings
- Express increased understanding of common correctional health care issues by exchanging ideas with colleagues about new developments in specialty areas
Continuing Education Credit
The maximum CE hours indicated below include participation in preconference seminars.
CCHPs: Certified Correctional Health Professionals may earn up to 27 contact hours of Category I continuing education for recertification.
Nurses: The National Commission on Correctional Health Care is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
NCCHC designates this educational activity for a maximum of 27 contact hours.
Physicians: The National Commission on Correctional Health Care is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. NCCHC designates this live activity for a maximum of 27 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Psychologists: Nova Southeastern University’s Center for Psychological Studies is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Nova Southeastern University’s Center for Psychological Studies maintains responsibility for this program and its content. This educational activity has been approved for up to 27 hours of credit.
Social Workers: This program is approved by the National Association of Social Workers (Approval # 886452976-1830) for up to 27 continuing education contact hours.
Here is a preview of some of the timely topics to be presented:
All About Methamphetamine
- Collegial Review of Clinical Practice
- Contingency Planning for a Medical Staffing Shortage
- Correctional Nursing: Applying the New Scope and Standards of Practice
- Health Services Administrator Guide to Surviving a Fiscal Cliff
- How to Identify Critical Self-Harm and Suicide Risk Factors in Your Jail
- Life Cycle of a Lawsuit
- Managing Disruptive Offenders: A Behavioral Perspective
- Older and Sicker: The Growing Health Care Needs of Graying Inmates
First-Time Attendee Orientation
Will this be your first time joining us for the Spring Conference on Correctional Health Care? Please plan to attend the First-Time Attendee Orientation. NCCHC staff members will give you tips on how to navigate the conference like a pro.
Sunday, 6:30 PM – 7 PM • Back of the Exhibit Hall
breakfast roundtAble discussion
Meet with your peers, enjoybreakfast and discuss challenges and solutions. Roundtables will address the following general topics: health care reform, CHORDS, mental health, juvenile nursing issues, geriatric populations, legal issues, the new ANA standards for correctional nursing practice, health services administration and dental care.
Monday, 7 AM – 8 AM • Plaza Ballroom
Session Recordings Package
With all of the sessions we have lined up for you, it is impossible to attend them all. And it’s difficult to absorb so much information in just a few short days. To help you catch up on what you miss and review important information year-round, we are pleased to offer the session recordings through the NCCHC Live Learning Center.
Select the Session Recordings Package when you register for the Spring Conference on Correctional Health Care to take advantage of this educational resource.
Already registered? Contact NCCHC at 773-880-1460 or email email@example.com to add the Session Recordings Package to your registration.
Get your educational experience off to a good start by attending a weekend seminar. Presented by some of the most respected names in this field, these seminars offer in-depth training on vital topics. Topics to be addressed include the following:
- In-Depth Review of NCCHC’s Jail and Prison Standards
- CCHP-RN Certification Review
- Prison Rape Elimination Act: Specialty Training for Medical and Mental Health Care Practitioners
(This seminar is free, but space is limited and registration is required for attendance. This project is supported by the National PREA Resource Center through Grant No. 2010-RP-BX-K001 awarded by the Bureau of Justice Assistance.)
- The Mentally Ill in Administrative Segregation: Everything You Need to Know But Didn’t Know to Ask
- Health Care Reform: How to Prepare for the Changes Ahead
- Practical Preparation for Initial NCCHC Accreditation
Registration for the conference is not required to attend these seminars.
All conference activities will take place at the Sheraton Denver Downtown. If you have not already done so, make your hotel reservation today. You’ll definitely want to stay where the action is and be right in the heart of great networking opportunities.
Conference attendees will receive the guaranteed lowest rate. This special rate of $159 is available through April 4, so act now! Make your reservation online or call (303) 893-3333. Be sure to mention NCCHC to get the group discount.
• Hotel Features: The Sheraton offers the perfect combination of atmosphere, location and amenities, with an outdoor, heated pool; a complimentary, 24-hour fitness facility; business center; excellent restaurants on site; and shopping adjacent to the hotel.
• Ground Transportation, Driving Directions and Parking Information
ALERT: NCCHC has received multiple reports that unauthorized companies may pose as the official housing vendors for the Spring Conference. These companies are not affiliated with NCCHC. For your own protection, we ask that you exercise caution when making hotel and travel arrangements with such entities. NCCHC only guarantees hotel room rate, availability, benefits and protection for reservations made through the Sheraton Denver Downtown. If you choose to book with a vendor not endorsed by NCCHC, please verify their credentials before doing business with them and independently confirm that your reservations have in fact been made and will be honored by directly contacting your chosen hotel.
denver is delightful
With 300 days of sunshine, a walkable downtown, thriving arts and culture, an award-winning culinary scene and the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop, the city offers an affordable mix of urban sophistication and outdoor adventure. Denver was named one of the 25 most affordable destinations for business travelers by Corporate Travel Index. Denver International Airport (DEN) offers nearly 1,700 daily flights, including nonstops to over 160 worldwide destinations, and is served by four low-cost carriers.
Denver's vibrant urban center offers endless options for dining, entertainment and recreation. Here are useful sites to help you start planning:
NCCHC thanks our conference cohosts for their support of the 2013 Spring Conference on Correctional Health Care.
- Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office
- County Sheriffs of Colorado
- Denver Sheriff Department
- Douglas County Sheriff's Office
- El Paso County Criminal Justice Center
- Jefferson County Sheriff's Office
Business Networking at Its Best
NCCHC conference attendees place a high value on the time they spend in the exhibit hall. They come looking for ways to improve health services in their facilities, and they want to forge solid relationships with the companies they select. With such enthusiastic interest, NCCHC conferences are the ideal venue for your company to build recognition and relationships with these important professionals.
Event Banners and Logo
Download the banner or logo of your choice for use in your conference exhibition promotional efforts. Right click on the desired link and "Save target as..." All are in jpg format but may be converted to other formats or resized as necessary. Images below are reduced in size for illustration purposes.
Square logo, 288 x 288
Banner, 960 x 100
Banner, 486 x 60
Also see the 2013 Marketing and Resource Guide for general information about conference exhibition and sponsorship, plus cost-effective advertising packages.
For more information, contact NCCHCexhibits@ncchc.org or 773-588-4692.
Sheraton Denver Downtown
The conference will take place in Denver's vibrant urban center, which is situated near some of the West's most spectacular scenery. This beautiful city also enjoys 300 days of sunshine each year.
The special conference rate of $159 is available through April 4. Reserve online or call (303) 893-3333. Be sure to mention the NCCHC group discount.