Maintain Your Certified Correctional Health Professional Status
Certification is valid for one year. All CCHPs must apply for continuing certification annually. After recertification, you'll receive a new certificate by mail.
How to Recertify
Receive immediate confirmation of your recertification when you recertify online.
Mail or Fax. An additional $15 processing fee is required. Please allow four weeks to process your application. Complete, sign and submit the recertification application (PDF), along with your payment.
Print Your Certificate
- Once logged in, select: “My CCHP Certification”
- Select “Details” under CCHP
- Choose “Print Certificate”
CCHPs must be of good character and professional reputation, have no legal or ethical impediment to providing service in the correctional health care field and have credentials free of any restriction that would limit their professional practice solely to the correctional setting.
Continuing certification requires participation in 18 hours of continuing education (at least six of which are specific to correctional health care) and payment of the recertification fee. Documentation of these activities is no longer required. However, all information supplied on your application for continuing certification is subject to audit by the CCHP Board of Trustees and staff. We highly recommend that you maintain documentation of your continuing education activities in the event your file comes under review.
There are two categories of continuing education activities:
- Category 1: Any continuing education activity specific to correctional health care, including any activity with health-related topics that is conducted within the correctional setting or with topics that address providing health services in a correctional setting. A minimum of six hours from Category 1 is required.
- Category 2: Any continuing education activity that you choose, according to your profession and availability of resources. There is no minimum requirement for Category 2.
Depending on which certification cycle you are in, recertification materials are due March 31, June 30, September 30 or December 31.
Recertification requirements must be completed prior to the expiration date. Requests for an extension (up to 30 days) must be submitted in writing (by email, mail or fax).
CCHP certification may be reinstated within one year upon submission of the required elements and an administrative reinstatement fee. If certification has lapsed for more than one year, you must submit a new application and complete all of the application requirements.
A fee of $100 must accompany your application. For online recertification, payment is made by credit card. If mailing or faxing the application, payment is made by check, money order or credit card and requires a $15 processing fee. Applications submitted after the deadline must add a $25 late fee. Purchase orders are not accepted.