Applying for CCHP
Eligibility requirements may be adopted or modified by the CCHP Board of Trustees at its sole discretion. The current requirements are as follows:
- Credentials appropriate to the applicant's field and employment position, and the requirements of the U.S. state or territory in which the applicant is licensed. The credentials must be free of any restriction that would limit professional practice solely to the correctional setting. If a license or credential is not required for practice, then the credential is not required for certification.
- Good character and fitness. Character and fitness is one of the most important components of the application. An applicant's record of conduct should justify the trust of patients, employers and others.
Elements of the Application
- Application form
- Resume or curriculum vitae documenting education and professional experience
- Copies of valid credentials, e.g., license, diploma (see Eligibility above)
- Signed application statement
- Examination fees
- Exam registration form (provided by NCCHC upon receipt of the above)
When all elements have been received and the application has been approved, applicants will receive confirmation of their candidacy to take the CCHP examination. Incomplete applications will be kept on file for six months, after which time a new application and fees must be submitted. A candidate must take the exam within one year of the application approval date or the date closest to one year that the next exam is administered.
Application / EXAMINATION fee
The fee is $205 (if submitted by mail or fax, a $15 surcharge will apply). If it is determined that you do not meet the minimum application requirements or if you cancel your application, $100 will be refunded. Cancellations must be requested in writing and received by NCCHC at least 10 business days before the examination date.
Candidates who opt to take the exam at a PSI test center will also be charged a $50 registration fee by PSI.
Attention veterans: You may be eligible for reimbursement of the exam fee by the Veterans Administration. Learn more »
Use our convenient online application (you must first log in to, or create, your NCCHC account). Or download the application for program details as well as the application form (a $15 surcharge applies for mailed or faxed applications).
Return the completed, signed application, along with a copy of your professional license and resume and the examination fee, to:
CCHP Board of Trustees, PO Box 6233, Carol Stream, IL 60197-6233
Six simple steps to certification
Download this handy list of the simple steps that will lead you to certification.
You may be eligible for reimbursement of the exam fee by the Veterans Administration. Learn more ».