Applying for CCHP-MH
Eligibility requirements may be adopted or modified by the CCHP Board of Trustees at its sole discretion. The current requirements are as follows. All requirements must be met prior to submitting the application.
- Must be a qualified mental health professional as defined by NCCHC’s Standards for Mental Health Services in Correctional Facilities (2008), MH-A-02: “psychiatrist, psychologist, psychiatric social worker, licensed professional counselor, psychiatric nurse, or others who by virtue of their education, credentials, and experience are permitted by law to evaluate and care for the mental health needs of patients”
- Current CCHP certification
- Graduate level (master’s and above) degree
- Professional licensure within a U.S. state (for Canada and U.S. territories, credentials will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
- Equivalent of three years of full-time practice in a correctional environment
Elements of the Application
- Copy of professional licensure or proof of license eligibility, e.g., copy of diploma, if license to practice is not required by law in your state
- Signed application statement
For application deadlines for each exam, see the CCHP Exam Calendar.
When all elements have been received and the application has been approved, applicants will receive confirmation of their candidacy to take the CCHP examination. Incomplete applications will be kept on file for six months, after which time a new application and fees must be submitted. A candidate must take the exam within one year of the application approval date or the date closest to one year that the next exam is administered.
Register online for NCCHC and partner location exams by logging into your MyNCCHC account (see the Exam Calendar for sites), or sign up to take the exam at a PSI test center, Prometric test center or online.
Application / EXAMINATION fee
The fee is $305 (if submitted by mail or fax, a $15 surcharge will apply). If it is determined that you do not meet the minimum application requirements or if you decide to cancel your application, $100 will be refunded. Cancellations must be requested in writing and received by NCCHC at least 10 business days before the examination date.
Candidates who opt to take the exam at a test center or online will also be charged a $50 registration fee by PSI or Prometric.
Attention veterans: You may be eligible for reimbursement of the exam fee by the Veterans Administration. Learn more »
Use our convenient online application (you must first log in to, or create, your NCCHC account). Or download the application for program details as well as the application form (a $15 surcharge applies for mailed or faxed applications).
Return the completed, signed application, along with a copy of your professional license and the examination fee, to: