Applying for CCHP-MH
WHO SHOULD APPLY
- Must be a qualified mental health professional as defined by NCCHC’s Standards for Mental Health Services in Correctional Facilities (2008), MH-A-02: “psychiatrist, psychologist, psychiatric social worker, licensed professional counselor, psychiatric nurse, or others who by virtue of their education, credentials, and experience are permitted by law to evaluate and care for the mental health needs of patients”
- Current CCHP certification
- Graduate level (master’s and above) degree
- Professional licensure within a U.S. state (for Canada and U.S. territories, credentials will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
- Equivalent of three years of full-time practice in a correctional environment
Elements of the Application
- Copy of professional licensure or proof of license eligibility, e.g., copy of diploma, if license to practice is not required by law in your state
- Completed application and fees
after the application is approved
Applicants will receive confirmation of their candidacy to take the CCHP examination after the application is approved. Incomplete applications will be kept on file for three months, after which time a new application and fees must be submitted. A candidate must take the exam within six months of the application approval date.
Application / EXAMINATION fee
The fee is $320 (if submitted by mail or fax, a $15 surcharge will apply). No refunds are available.
Cancellations for exams at NCCHC conferences must be requested in writing and received by NCCHC at least 10 business days before the examination date.
Candidates who opt to take the exam at a test center or online will also be charged a $50 registration fee by Prometric.
Veterans may be eligible for reimbursement of the exam fee by the Veterans Administration. Learn more »
ADA REQUEST FOR TEST ACCOMODATIONS
Please follow the instructions on this form to request testing accomodations.
Use our convenient online application (you must first log in to, or create, your NCCHC account). Or download the application for program details as well as the application form (a $15 surcharge applies for mailed or faxed applications).