Applying for CCHP-P
Eligibility requirements may be adopted or modified by the CCHP Board of Trustees at its sole discretion. The current requirements are as follows. All requirements must be met prior to submitting the application.
- Current CCHP certification
- Unrestricted license (MD or DO) to practice medicine in at least one state of the United States and be in good standing with that licensing board (for Canada and U.S. territories, credentials will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
- Practice in the correctional environment over the course of at least three years (no minimum requirement of hours)
Elements of the Application
- Copy of professional licensure
- Signed application statement
For application deadlines for each exam, see the CCHP Exam Calendar.
Once the application has been approved, applicants will receive acknowledgment of their candidacy to take the CCHP-P examination. The examination is administered several times throughout the year. Candidates must register before the registration deadline for the exam they wish to take.
Application / EXAMINATION fee
The fee is $305 (if submitted by mail or fax, a $15 surcharge will apply). If it is determined that you do not meet the minimum application requirements or if you decide to cancel your application, $100 will be refunded. Cancellations must be requested in writing and received by NCCHC at least 10 business days before the examination date.
Attention veterans: You may be eligible for reimbursement of the exam fee by the Veterans Administration. Learn more »
Use our convenient online application (you must first log in to, or create, your NCCHC account). Or download the application for program details as well as the application form (a $15 surcharge applies for mailed or faxed applications).
Return the completed, signed application, along with a copy of your professional license and the examination fee, to: